Cookies are small files of letters and numbers. These files are either stored in the memory of your computer or other device such as mobile phones or tablet devices (these cookies are generally known as session cookies) or are placed on the hard drive of your device (generally known as persistent cookies).
For more details about cookies and details of how to delete and disable cookies you can visit www.aboutcookies.org and also see our section on more information and turning cookies off below.
- to allow you to carry information across pages of our Website and avoid having to re-enter information;
- within registration to allow you to access stored information;
- to help us recognise you as a unique visitor when you return to our Website or Services;
- to allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests;
- to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly; and
- within research surveys to ensure you are not invited to complete a questionnaire too often or after you have already done so.
- to understand who has seen which pages and advertisements on the Website or otherwise via the Services;
- to determine how frequently particular pages and advertisements are visited;
- to track the success of any advertising campaigns on our Website;
- to determine the most popular areas of the Website or Services;
- to provide anonymised demographic data to third parties in order to target advertising more appropriately to you;
- generally in order to monitor usage of the Website or Services; and
- to undertake market research and/or to facilitate reviews, developments and/or improvements to the Services.
We use a number of social media tools and external services to enhance visitor interaction on our Website. If you already use these platforms, their cookies may be set through our website. Data may then be collected by these companies with the aim of enabling them to better serve adverts on other sites that they think are relevant to your interests.
The following are cookies set on the Website:
Name of cookie: BSA_VOTE
Purpose: This cookie holds voting information and enables us to provide voting services to you. This cookie expires at the end of your session.
Name of cookies: _utma, _utmb, _utmc & _utmz
Purpose: These cookies are set by Google Analytics and are used respectively to:
- determine unique visitors to the website. It is updated with each page view and expires 2 years from date set;
- establish and continue a user session within the website (expires when a user pauses on a page on your site for longer than 30 minutes);
- this cookie stores no information but is included for backward compatibility purposes (expires when the user exits the browser);
- store the type of referral used by you to reach The British Soap Awards website, whether via a direct method, a referring link, a website search, or a campaign such as an ad or an email link. Expires 6 months from date set.
Where can I find more information about cookies, and how do I turn cookies off or delete cookies?
Find out more about cookies including how to disable/enable and delete them at the following website www.aboutcookies.org.
If you want to delete cookies from the browser on your mobile phone, you will need to refer to your handset manual.